Hello my name is Malcolm Goddard and I am the new Family Liaison Officer at St. George’s Church of England Primary School. The children know me as Malcolm because my role and relationship with them is not in a teaching role but in a pastoral role. I am here to
- Support parents and carers to ensure their children learn well and thrive during their time at this school.
- Support children when they may need pastoral support and work with parents to access additional pastoral support from other agencies outside school
- Facilitate and promote high levels of parental engagement with the school
What is a FLO (Family Liason Officer)?
A FLO is an additional source of support in school for parents, children and families.
A FLO can help with a wide variety of issues, not just those directly connected with education and school.
- Guidance, training, advice and informal support with parenting including behaviour management and setting appropriate boundaries
- Support and help with starting school and transferring to secondary school
- Signposting parents to information about wider services for their children and themselves, including health, personal finance, adult education, community services etc
A key role of the FLO is to work with families to help overcome any barriers to children’s learning by providing advice and support in those difficult times when it can be hard to know where to turn.
I have lots of experience of working with families facing a wide range of difficulties, and I understand the impact these can have on the well-being of parents and their children. I have also worked directly with many children, supporting them with friendship issues, emotional worries, loss and behavioural difficulties.
I am also a parent to two primary school children so my experience is both professional and based on a real appreciation of how challenging, exciting and exhausting being a parent can be and that things do not always go perfectly or as planned.
I am here to support you and your child in any way I can, and I will work closely with the school and external agencies to help find solutions to any difficulties you are facing. Sometimes a listening ear or some practical advice may be all that is needed, and I am always happy to listen to anything you feel you would like to share about your child’s experience of school, or about any worries you may have from outside school.
My hours of work
I will be on the school gates on both mornings so please feel free to chat to me.
If you would like to see me at any other time, please contact me through the school office to make an appointment. You are also welcome to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
I look forward to getting to know all of you and your families,