Together, with the Head Teacher and the Senior Leadership Team, we are responsible for making sure the school provides good quality education. We meet regularly to monitor the progress of children throughout their time at our school and provide challenge and support to the Head Teacher, drawing on our knowledge and experience.
We have three strands to the role:
- To Provide a Strategic view of where the school is going. What are the long term aims, how will the school achieve them and how do governors know how effective the school is?
- To Act as a Critical Friend by supporting the school and its work, through monitoring & evaluating the school’s effectiveness in raising standards.
- To Ensure Accountability
We also carry out a number of other important duties, which include:
- Determining how the school’s budget is spent
- The appointing and dismissing of staff
- Hearing appeals and grievances
- Forming policy on the school’s curriculum and collective worship
- Setting standards for pupils’ behaviour and discipline
- Making sure school buildings are welcoming and safe
- Setting and monitoring the school’s aims and policies
Governors receive training on an on-going basis and also meet with Governors of other governing bodies to share good practice and skills.
In addition to the above, Governors are very visible within the school and plan an active part in celebrating the success of the children. We try hard to be a part of everyday school life and to find time to support school activities and events.